Most versatile wireless speaker
Rich, room-filling sound
The PLAY:3 uses 3 state-of-the-art digital amplifiers individually coupled with 3 speakers to deliver pure, clean sound to any room. A bass radiator produces powerful low notes while two mid-range drivers and one tweeter fills out the sound.
Crystal-clear, room-filling sound
3 speakers powered by 3 dedicated digital amplifiers
The PLAY:3 uses 3 state-of the-art digital amplifiers individually coupled with 3 speakers to deliver great sound to any room. The wireless music system provides pure, clean sound that is perfect for bringing room filling music to a kitchen, bedroom, office, or just about any room in your home. A bass radiator produces powerful low notes while two mid-range drivers and one tweeter fills out the sound.
State of the art, great sounding amplifiers that are light weight, powerful and very energy efficient in standby and use.
1 tweeter creates a crisp and accurate high frequency response.
2 dedicated mid-range drivers ensure the faithful reproduction of mid-range frequencies crucial for accurate playback of vocals and instruments.
A bass radiator is tuned to use the energized air volume inside of PLAY:3 to provide deep, clean and surprisingly powerful bass from such a small package.
All-digital sound architecture
From the recording studio to your home the music is reproduced as the artist intended. All filter settings, active equalization, and time-alignment are done in the digital domain through state-of-the-art DSP circuitry so there’s absolutely no loss of audio quality or energy.
Adjustable bass and treble controls
Optimize sound performance using room-specific bass, treble, balance, and loudness controls. Adjust volume by individual room or by groups of rooms
Access all the music on Earth
Pre-loaded Internet radio stations — free of charge
Get over 100,000 free radio stations, shows, and podcasts -- all for free. And you can tune in without turning on your computer. Browse for stations or type in specific call letters or a radio host you love.
Endless music from the most popular online music services
Sonos works seamlessly with Deezer, iHeartRadio, JB Hi-Fi NOW, JUKE, Last.fm, MOG, Pandora®, Rdio®, Rhapsody®, SiriusXM™ Internet Radio, Slacker® Radio, Songl, Songza, Spotify®, Stitcher SmartRadio™, TuneIn, Wolfgang’s Vault®, WiMP, and downloads from any service offering DRM-free tracks. (Service availability varies by region.)
Computer-free music playback
Get instant access to millions of songs and thousands of radio stations — without ripping, downloading or turning on a computer. Sonos connects directly to these services over the Internet and then streams the music to the rooms of your choice.
Play the music on your computer in any room
Play music stored on up to 16 PCs, Macs or NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices on your home network, supporting the most popular audio formats, from iTunes® to MP3.
Other cool features
Easy Internet connectivity for other products in your house
When wirelessly connected to a BRIDGE or another player, you can use the Ethernet port on the back of your PLAY:3 to bring standard Internet connectivity to your set-top box, DVR, PC, game console or network hard drive.
Top-panel play/pause controls
Provides quick access to music, volume and play/pause controls when you don’t have a controller in hand. Press the mute button once to start or stop the music and twice to skip to the next track.
Position the PLAY:3 in a horizontal or vertical orientation to make a perfect fit into tight spots around you home like on bookshelves, nightstands, corners, or just about anywhere else. The EQ automatically adjusts so the sound you hear is always great, not matter what orientation you use.
Place the PLAY:3 on any kind of surface in your home without fear of scratches or scrapes.
Control your Sonos music system with your smartphone, tablet and more
Control all your music and rooms with your Android™ device, iPhone®, iPod touch®, and iPad™
Free Sonos Controller apps for Android, iPhone and iPad let you control your Sonos players, music on the Internet and your computer right from the palm of your hand. Download the apps for free on the iTunes App Store or Google Play™.
Integrated, multi-room control
If you have multiple music players, you can control what music is playing in every room in your house, from anywhere in your house. Sonos Controllers aren’t tied to a specific player, so you can use any Controller to control the music and the volume in all your rooms.
Find and play your favorite songs in an instant
Browse or search for songs and stations, choose the music, and control the volume from anywhere in the home.
Android devices, iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad connect to your Sonos system through your home WiFi network.
Includes Sonos Controller for Mac or PC
Turn any Mac or PC desktop or laptop computer in your home into a Controller. The software is included for free with every Sonos component.
Wireless multi-room music with SonosNet
Built-in wireless capability
The PLAY:3 can go anywhere, delivering music to any room in your house, wirelessly. Music players and controllers work on your home WiFi network, or they can establish their own secure wireless mesh network that delivers the extensive range and superior performance if your home WiFi isn’t reliable enough.
SonosNet wireless mesh network technology
Provides whole-house coverage, ensures synchronous music playback, and avoids sources of wireless interference. Incorporating sophisticated MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) technology, SonosNet uses multiple antennas and radios together to boost signal strength and reach remote locations.
- Works with any mix of Sonos components
- Compatible with all previous generations of Sonos players, CONTROL, and BRIDGE
Play a different song in every room, at the same time
Tune in to an Internet radio station in the bedroom, stream a music service in the kitchen and play a song from your music library in the living room — simultaneously.
Listen to the same song in every room, in perfect synchronization
Play the same song in different rooms, simultaneously, without echoes or delays. Add or drop rooms from your rooms grouping and still be in sync.
Simple setup and expandable design
No technical or wireless expertise required. Put a PLAY:3 in any room where you want music and connect it to your home WiFi network using the free Sonos Controller App. The Sonos System Setup software provides simple on-screen prompts on any SONOS CONTROL. With the touch of a few buttons, you’ll be play music all over the house in minutes.
Expandable wireless system
Expand your wireless music system room by room. Wirelessly add more PLAY:3s to your house and enjoy true multi-room music.
Simple to move
The PLAY:3 is so small that it is easy to move to the backyard, deck or any other room. Simply pick it up, plug it in, and enjoy the music.
Automatic software updates
New features and music services delivered automatically — and for free
The Sonos system keeps getting better over time with new features and music services. Once the Sonos music system has been registered, Sonos will automatically notify you when software updates are available. Simply press one button and your system updates itself.
- Three Class-D digital amplifiers
- Three driver speaker system – one tweeter, two mid-range drivers, and one bass radiator. Each driver of the product is individually powered by a dedicated amplifier.
Stereo Pair setting
- Allows you to group two PLAY:3s in the same room with one PLAY:3 serving as the left channel and the other as the right channel.
Operating systems (for stored files)
- Windows® XP SP3 and higher; Mac running OS X 10.6.8 or greater; NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices supporting CIFS
Music services supported
- Sonos works seamlessly with Amazon Music, Deezer, iHeartRadio, JB Hi-Fi NOW, JUKE, Last.fm, MOG, Pandora®, Rdio®, Rhapsody®, SiriusXM™ Internet Radio, Slacker® Radio, Songl, Songza, Spotify®, Stitcher SmartRadio™, TuneIn, Wolfgang’s Vault®, WiMP, and downloads from any service offering DRM-free tracks. (Service availability varies by region.)
Internet radio supported
Audio formats supported
- Support for compressed MP3, iTunes Plus, WMA (including purchased Windows Media downloads), AAC (MPEG4), AAC+, Ogg Vorbis, Audible (format 4), Apple Lossless, Flac (lossless) music files, as well as uncompressed WAV and AIFF files. Native support for 44.1kHz sample rates. Additional support for 48kHz, 32kHz, 24kHz, 22kHz, 16kHz, 11kHz, and 8kHz sample rates.
Note: Apple "Fairplay", WMA DRM and WMA Lossless formats not currently supported. Previously purchased Apple "Fairplay" DRM-protected songs may be upgraded.
Album art supported
- Windows Media Player®
- and MusicMatch™ (.m3u, .pls, .wpl)
- A single Ethernet port that can connect the PLAY:3 to a wired home network or allow an Ethernet device to connect through Sonosnet
- Works on your home WiFi network with any 802.11b/g, 2.4GHz broadcast capable router. Also works on SonosNet, a secure AES encrypted, peer-to-peer wireless mesh network dedicated exclusively for your Sonos system to reduce WiFi interference
- 4°F to 158°F (-20°C to 70°C)
- AC 120/240V, 50-60Hz, auto-switchable
- SONOS PLAY:3, power cord, flat ethernet cable, Quickstart Guide
- Indicate Sonos component status and Mute status
Dimensions (H x W x D)
- 5.2 x 10.6 x 6.3 in. (132 x 268 x 160 mm)
- White with light metallic grille; black with graphite grille
- Standard 1/4" /20 threaded mounting socket
- Sonos System Software supports : Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish and Brazilian Portuguese.
- 32°F to 104°F (0°C to 40°C)