Ortofon 2M Series is a combination of form and functionality
The 2M Series is developed in conjunction with the Danish designer Møller Jensen Design – the same designer who designed the award winning MC Jubilee and Kontrapunkt series. Inspired by the facets of a diamond, whose contours gracefully trace the grooves on a record’s surface, the 2M’s handsome elegance establishes a great combination of form and functionality.
2M are designed for precise and accurate retrieval of the information in the record groove. Our philosophy is to play the record sound as accurate as possible, without coloring the sound.
The name 2M was selected from several ideas. We wanted a modern name which should be easy to pronounce and remember, and therefore an alphanumerical name was chosen. 2M means MM, which is the abbreviation for moving magnet. Of course the 2M isn’t just another pretty face. It has been engineered to the highest standards and is congruent with Ortofon’s unrelenting commitment to providing the most precise and accurate reproduction possible without coloration.
The 2M Series is available in two configurations: the 2M for top mount and the 2M Verso for bottom mount. Each configuration comprises Red, Blue, Bronze, Black, 78 and Mono models.
- The 2M Series features Ortofon's trademark split pole pins, an invention which enables moving magnet cartridges to have a flat frequency response as with a moving coil cartridge.
- The 2M Red, 2M Blue, 2M 78 and 2M Mono use an improved engine, which provides an optimized sound reproduction and a high level of sonic accuracy.
- The 2M Bronze and 2M Black use a special upgrade engine, featuring split pole pins with a silver plated copper wire.
- Both 2M 78 and 2M Mono use a strapped output to deliver the same output signal from both sets of pole pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system.
Each of the 2M Series cartridges has its own individual sonic expression, and all models together represent the ensemble of five classic variations:
- 2M Mono and 2M 78 are True Mono cartridges, 2M Mono is for playing mono microgroove vinyl records and 2M 78 is for playback of 78 rpm shellac records.
- 2M Red is an all-purpose cartridge that delivers open, dynamic sound with a slight touch of warmth.
- 2M Blue adds more dynamics and resolution, sounds more open and reproduces more details.
- 2M Bronze adds even more details and resolution but in a very evenhanded way that pays respect to all elements.
- 2M Black is the best of everything, true to the groove with resolution and accurate insight into each recording.
Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec.: 5,5 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz: 1,5 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz: 25 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz: 15 dB
Frequency range at - 3dB: 20-25.000 Hz
Frequency response: 20-20.000 Hz + 2 / - 1 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force: 80 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 20 µm/mN
Stylus type: Nude Elliptical
Stylus tip radius: r/R 8/18 µm
Tracking force range: 1,6-2,0g (16-20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended: 1,8 g (18 mN)
Tracking angle: 20º
Internal impedance, DC resistance: 1,3 kOhm
Internal inductance: 700 mH
Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
Cartridge colour, body/stylus: Black/Blue
Cartridge weight: 7,2 g
Replacement stylus unit: 2M Blue (interchangeable with 2M Red)