A classic, redefined.
Designed well, a product should have many years of useful life. The original Naim CDX debuted in 1999, and the revised CDX2 shares plenty of design DNA with its predecessor. Its radial arc disc tray is classic Naim. It’s different from the motorised assemblies used by other players, but better too, with superior isolation and resistance to resonance. In its latest incarnation, the CDX2 has incorporated some useful new enhancements, including a switchable digital output and extra low-noise clock regulation. After all, being able to do something well shouldn’t stop you from trying to do it better.
Integrity and stability of the signals read by the laser were prime design considerations for the CDX2's development. A suspended transport and low mass magnetic clamping system ensure that the disc spins accurately and silently, unhindered by mechanical resonance.
The mass of the custom-made glass reinforced front-loading drawer mechanism has been carefully calculated to optimise rigidity and isolation. Additionally, the internal shielding has been improved bringing about further upgraded performance and lower noise. Paths between critical components are as short as possible to preserve delicate signals and each stage of the circuitry is powered by a separate regulated supply.
The CDX2 has a fully double-regulated power supply with 20 low-noise, regulated power supplies on the main circuit board, plus a separate supply on the servo control board and another on the display board. The CDX2 is easily upgradable via the XPS ultra low noise power supply to provide a substantial improvement in sound quality.
All main control functions are handled by a microprocessor running Naim-written software. Every aspect of the servo controller/decoder functionality is under software control: Naim-written codes allow maximised performance in all areas. For example, the transport parameters are optimised for each disc as it is loaded.
- Analogue DIN, RCA
- Line Outputs Fixed (level) 2.1V RMS at 1kHz
- Output Impedance 10Ω (max.)
- Load Impedance 10kΩ (min.)
- Frequency Response 10Hz – 20kHz, +0.1/-0.5dB
- THD + N <0.1%, 10Hz -18kHz at full level
- De-emphasis ±0.1dB referred to main response
- Digital Outputs (type) S/PDIF, 75Ω BNC
- Remote Control Infra Red (RC5)
- Remote Input 1 x rear panel 3.5mm jack (RC5 modulated/unmodulated)
- RS232 Optional (DE9 female)
- CD Formats Red Book
- Disc Compatability CD, CD-R
- Front Panel Four button matrix
- Handheld Remote handset
- Supply Voltage 100V, 115V, 230V; 50 or 60Hz
- Power Supply Options XPS, 555 PS
- Power Supply XPS, 555 PS
- Other DAC
- Dimensions (HxWxD) 87 x 432 x 314 mm
- Weight 10.8 kg
- Supplied with NARCOM-4 Remote Control, Standard Interconnect, Mains Lead