The speaker is completely transparent and paints a 3D holographic sound stage which is totally addictive for its neutrality.
Although originally developed for professional use in BBC control rooms, the Monitor 40.1 has been adopted as a domestic reference system and, where space permits, brings the ultimate in natural sound to the serious home listener.
The domestic version, crafted in real wood veneers, is fitted with two binding posts for simplicity of connection. The in-room smoothness of response is excellent, and in a suitable room a controlled and realistic bass response down to 25Hz is possible.
It's not easy to ascribe a sonic characteristic to the multi award-winning Monitor 40.1: nor does it have one. Perhaps the concept "three dimensional curtain of sound" says it all.
Golden Ear award from The Absolute Sound magazine
Named TONE Audio speaker product of the year.
Editors' Choice by The Abosulte Sound.
- Transducer system: Three-way reflex - Harbeth 300mm bass unit, 200mm RADIAL2™ midrange and 25mm tweeter with HexGrille.
- Freq. response: 35Hz-20kHz +/-3dB Free space, grille on, smooth off-axis response
- Impedance: 6 ohms - easy to drive
- Sensitivity: 84dB/1W/1m
- Amp. suggestion: Works with a wide range of amplifiers, ideally from 50W/channel.
- Power handling: 200W programme
- Connector: Two 4mm gold-plated binding posts for wires or plugs
- Dimensions (hxwxd): 750 x 432 x 388mm (+12mm for grille and binding posts)
- Finish: Cherry, eucalyptus, rosewood, tiger ebony.
- Space needs: LF optimised for use away from hard, reflective surfaces.
- Stands: To bring ears level with tweeters. (Tweeter: 660mm up from cabinet base)
- Weight: 38kg each
- Packing: Single speaker per shipping carton